Coachella kicks off music festival season for festival goers.
Celebrities and average Joes alike flock to southern California to see their favorite bands for a weekend of awesome food, good music, and lots of dancing.
Like any other festival, Coachella is the ideal opportunity to rock some really funky outfits.
But if you’re trying to rival other festival goers with your rad outfit, where do you start?
We’ll show you the best ways to put together an outfit for Coachella.
Remember where you are
First and foremost, remember where you are. You are not at the mall. You are not at a house party.
You’re going to be outdoors, sweating with the rest of ’em. And chances are, you’re probably sleeping in a tent at night.
So now is not the time to wear your most expensive Jimmy Choos.
You will be walking through mud and dirt. You will be sweating.
So with that being said, it is still possible to look cool at Coachella. But you want to make sure that you are dressing appropriately.
Start from the top
Remember we said you will be hot? Sticky and sweating? We’re reminding you again.
This is so you won’t be rocking a leather jacket all day at the festival (though that would look rad).
So you want to make sure that you’re choosing tops that are both comfortable and fashionable.
There are tons of options of tops and tanks you can rock for an awesome outfit for Coachella.
Some options include:
- Fun tank tops – A tank top is one of the best festival items you can rock. The provide the perfect amount of 50% cool (we’re talking temperature) and 50% fashion. A lot of tanks on the market come with strap designs that go far beyond the regular tank top. You can choose from a criss-cross back or one that crosses in the front. The possibilities are endless.
- Sheer tops – If you want to look super cute but don’t want to take it to the extreme, a sheer top or tank is the perfect accessory to your outfit for Coachella. These trendy tops will keep you cool and stylish while you are seeing your favorite bands.
- Tube tops or crop tops – If you aren’t opposed to exposing a little skin, these are a fun way to keep cool at a music festival. Plus, they are small enough to pack into your festival backpack. The no muss, no fuss easiness of a crop top or tube top will allow you to be fashion forward as well. Bralettes are now becoming a popular option for those who are more adventurous.
Rock a bottom
Want to rock a free flowing skirt? Comfy jean shorts? You totally can!
The options for the bottom half of your outfit for Coachella are endless.
Some rad options are:
- A free flowing skirt – Want to be the trendiest person at Coachella? Opt for a long, free flowing skirt that will keep you trendy and breezy at the festival. The great part about a long skirt? You can comfortably dance as well as sit down on a blanket for your favorite band’s show. They are also super low maintenance so you don’t have to worry about them getting dirty. Thankfully, these types of skirts are popular on the market, so you’ll be able to choose from tons of fabrics and prints! We think opting for a flower or tribal print would look best.
- Shorts – Whether you choose denim or fabric, you’ll be able to walk, sit, and dance in a fun pair of shorts. Denim paired with a cute tank or bralette is a great way to stand out at Coachella.
- Pants – If you are willing to withstand the heat, you can also opt for a cute pair of denim pants. Colored denim is a hot trend that will add a pop of funky color to your outfit for Coachella.
One Stop Shop
Looking for an outfit for Coachella that doesn’t require multiple pieces?
You’re in luck! One piece outfits are becoming super popular in the fashion world, and you can bet that you’ll see a lot of these outfits at the festival.
Looking for something fun and casual? Rompers are your best bet. There are tons of styles out there that will suit anyone’s style. Look for one with tribal print or embroidery accents. This will give you the most epic festival vibe.
If you are trying to dress things up a bit, there are one piece dresses that work perfectly for festivals. Hi-Lo dresses are easy to accessorize with and they are super comfortable.
Make Your Feet Fancy
One thing you cannot forget when you hit the festival trail – shoes!
Unless you plan on going barefoot, you want to make sure that you’re wearing comfortable shoes.
But that doesn’t mean you have to wear your running shoes!
There are tons of comfortable options that will also add style to your outfit for Coachella.
Here are just a few options that would be ideal for a music festival:
- Sneakers – This is one of the best options for your Coachella outfit. Sneakers are great because you can dress them up or down. And, they are super comfortable. We like the idea of rocking a pair of Vans with a casual romper.
- Gladiator Sandals – Not only are these trendy, they don’t have a heel, so you can stomp around the festival in comfort. Plus, you can choose from casual to dressy, depending on your outfit. We like pairing these with a flowy hi-lo dress that allows you to expose these cute shoes.
- Hemp Rope Shoes – Seriously, anyone who has been to a festival knows that these rope shoes are ideal for festivals. They come in tons of different styles, but the concept is the same. They are constructed out of hemp rope, so they can get wet or muddy and they won’t get ruined. These funky shoes are also super comfortable. And they’ll look dope with any outfit you decide on.
Accessorize Your Outfit for Coachella
Everyone at Coachella is trying to look their best. You have definitely seen photos of celebrities sporting their prettiest bling.
And while you shouldn’t wear anything super expensive, you should definitely take this opportunity to sport some awesome accessories.
Some ways you can accessorize your outfit for Coachella:
- Hats and Headscarves – You are going to be in the hot desert sun all day, so you want to make sure you are protecting yourself from the sun’s UV rays. Opt for a large straw hat, or a fancy printed headscarf to keep the sun out of your face.
- Funky jewelry – Like we said, you don’t want to wear your heirloom diamonds, but throwing on some cute costume jewelry makes for the perfect outfit. Cute handmade friendship bracelets, chunky statement necklaces, or feather earrings will add flair to any outfit you choose. You can also throw a stack of beaded bracelets on your arm to add a little sparkle to your ensemble.
- Sunglasses – Beat the desert heat and rock some cute sunnies. Not only will you keep the sun out of your eyes long enough to see some great music, you’ll also look super stylish. Big, round Yoko Ono-Esque shades work great for a classic look. Or if you are looking to get more retro, you can always opt for a tie-dyed pair of plastic frames.
- Glitter and gems – Coachella is the perfect opportunity to do something crazy. Something you wouldn’t normally do in the “real” world. So if you are feeling frisky, try adorning your face with some cute stick on gems. If you want to add extra pizzazz to your outfit, sprinkle some glitter in your hair or add a shimmery eyeshadow.
- A catchall bag – Chances are you will need something to throw all your fest gear in. Why not opt for something that is functional and cute? We love canvas bags because they are durable and easy to clean. Plus, canvas bags are made with some really cute prints. If you want to roam the festival hands-free, try sporting a cute backpack. Fanny packs are also making a comeback from the 90s. There are tons of modern options that you can choose from. Plus, these bags go with any outfit.
Music festivals are a great way to express yourself. You are able to be the person you can’t be at work or school.
The best way to express yourself is through your wardrobe.
We’ve provided you with the basics of an outfit for Coachella. Start with the perfect top and work your way throughout your outfit.
Don’t forget a cute pair of comfortable shoes and a bunch of fun accessories.
No matter what you are wearing to this music festival, you are going to have a great time with incredible music and your friends.
So let us know, which music festivals have you been to? Have you ever been to Coachella? What is your festival wardrobe must have? Let us know in the comments!